French Bulldog Wrinkles Care – Why?
French Bulldogs are fondly known as ‘clown dogs’ because of their gorgeous yet funny-looking faces! Their cute wrinkles and perky ears have even attracted celebrities to them, such as Leonardo Di Caprio, Lady Gaga, and Martha Stewert.
Discover all the top caring steps for looking after your French Bulldog’s wrinkles. Learn how to treat a French Bulldog wrinkle infection with our effective technique outlined in our easily Actionable STEPS! Keep your French Bulldog smelling good and fresh at all times doing it yourself at home!
Wrinkles easily identify a French Bulldog’s face; they give him his essence! But why else you must take extra special care of your French Bulldog’s wrinkles?
- Lots can get stuck in between their wrinkles due to their shortened nose. This includes water, food, dust, and dirt, which can make them an unhygienic place.
- All of these things can cause bacterial infections, fungal infections, and Malassezia yeast proliferation, which can lead to discomfort and inflammation for your French Bulldog’s skin.
- These issues cause French Bulldogs to have a smelly face and apart from it being unpleasant, you certainly won’t want kisses from that face!
So, how can you treat these issues effectively by yourself? Outlined below, we have a practical (and painless) guide. Easily avoid problems keeping your French Bulldog fresh, smelling good, and with a healthy, happy face.
French Bulldog Wrinkle Infections (HOW to avoid or treat them)
French Bulldog wrinkles are among the cutest things about the breed. However, as well as other Bulldog breeds, Pugs, Shar Peis, and several mastiffs, French Bulldog wrinkles are prone to all kinds of infection. Excess moisture, dirt, heat, and friction can lead to the ill-health of your French Bulldog’s wrinkles.
How to know if my French Bulldog has a wrinkle infection?
- You notice a foul, musty smell.
- If your French Bulldog starts rubbing his face on carpets, pillows, floor, and grass.
- If you see discharge coming out of his skin-folds.
- In advanced cases, his wrinkles will become red, sore and swollen.
You must also be aware of the fact that not all French Bulldogs have the same wrinkles! Most of them have different patterns. These can be only slightly pronounced all the way to highly pronounced wrinkles. But the wrinkles do not fully develop until your French Bulldog reaches maturity. Regardless of how pronounced or not your French Bulldog’s wrinkles look, you must keep them clean as they are likely to be deeper than they appear.
How Often Should I Clean My French Bulldog’s Wrinkles?
French Bulldog wrinkle infections may need a trip to the vet, but by cleaning your French Bulldog’s wrinkles daily, this can be avoided. So, when should you clean your French Bulldog’s wrinkles?
- Do it at least once a day, after the last meal.
- Ideally, do it after every meal.
- Do it any time of the day you’re able to do it!
Get the idea? If you let days pass without cleaning your French Bulldog’s wrinkles, he’ll be prone to a wrinkle infection which is not at all pleasant.
If you notice there’s an infection, you should apply the following at-home treatment:
How To Clean French Bulldogs’ Wrinkles: Practical (And Easy) STEPS!
- Get what you need! Get some wrinkle wipes for French Bulldogs. We’ve spent some time reviewing the best wipes for your French Bulldog, so you don’t have to. Just click on the link in the Reviews tab at the top of the page. If you don’t have wrinkle wipes, cotton wool dipped in salty water will be a suitable alternative. Nevertheless, wrinkle wipes for French Bulldogs or even hypo-allergenic grooming wipes for French Bulldogs are the best option.
- Clean those wrinkles! It’s important to get deep down inside your French Bulldog’s wrinkles. With your fingers spread them apart to examine them for any infection. Next, carefully rub inside with a wipe. Remove everything that you may find since any mucky build-up will be an excellent medium for bacteria to grow in.
- Dry those wrinkles! Dry wrinkles are healthy wrinkles! When you’re finished, use a dry tissue to remove the excess of moisture. Bacteria love a moist environment so even though they may be clean, they may still easily grow an infection if this step is not paid attention to.
- Put on some cream! Once wrinkles are dry, you can apply some wrinkle cream for French Bulldogs, ointment, or wax if it’s necessary. These products have antiseptic properties, making sure any residual infection or potential infection is killed off. This step is essential if there is a current infection.
- Clean, Dry, Cream and repeat: Proceed with the same technique with every wrinkle your French Bulldog has!
- Reward! “Who’s a good boy?” Giving your French Bulldog a reward will help you to train him and even look forward to getting his wrinkles cleaned every day.
- Add some healthy fatty-acids to his diet! An Omega-3 enriched diet can help to keep your French Bulldog’s skin and wrinkles in great health. We’ve reviewed some fantastic diets for your French Bulldog which will help you do this, so just click these links to explore food for French Bulldogs puppies, food for adult French Bulldogs, and food for senior French Bulldogs. A particularly great option is food from BLUE Buffalo for French Bulldogs.
- Do not reuse your wipes! They will be dirty and not as effective. Use as many as you need.
- Also consider Omega-3 supplements, not just enriched foods. A great supplement for French Bulldogs is Nordic Naturals Pet-Omega-3 for French Bulldogs. This will give your French Bulldog a shiny and healthy coat at all times, plus keep those wrinkles free of infections.
Now you know how to clean French Bulldog’s wrinkles! Wrinkles can get smelly and infected since all manner of materials can get entrapped in there, but with your great care from following these tips, you can now keep you French Bulldog’s wrinkles as healthy as can be.
Useful Products to clean my French Bulldog’s wrinkles.
Check out Our Detailed Reviews for French Bulldogs to pick the best products for your French Bulldog. We have invested time and effort to ease your buying decision! There are several products specialized for treating irritations and infections:
- Wrinkle Creams for French Bulldogs: They protect your French Bulldog from humidity, debris, friction, and dryness.
- Wrinkles Wipes for French Bulldogs: While creams and balms are important, they are useless without wrinkle wipes. These are essential to cleanse your French Bulldog’s wrinkles to keep them clean and sanitized.
- Minor irritations – Vaseline: It can help you with minor irritations or redness between wrinkles, avoid moisture, and friction. It’s very cheap, and you can find it everywhere!
These products are everything you will need to protect your French Bulldog from infection, all from the comfort of your own home. If your French Bulldog has a wrinkle infection and it doesn’t improve after a few days, your veterinarian will be able to provide him with treatments to heal up his issue. This may include medicated ointments and oral antibiotics.
Note for our members: We make plenty of reviews from different brands in the Dog Supplies Market. We DO NOT get free products from product companies and have NO relationship whatsoever with them.
Frequently Asked Questions – French Bulldog Wrinkle Infections
Your nose is your best detector. If you clean your French Bulldog’s wrinkles regularly, they shouldn’t smell odd. Any weird smell lately?
All of them! French Bulldog wrinkle issues are usually due to trapped debris and humidity, which is a year-round issue when you bathe, play, and feed your dog. The exception is for French Bulldogs with skin allergies, as these may wax and wane through the different seasons.
Not at all, but it doesn’t mean they aren’t serious. They are annoying and painful, so ensure you don’t let them get missed!
Now you know how to clean your French Bulldog’s wrinkles! Wrinkles can become smelly and infected easily due to the entrapment of dirt, food, and moisture, so keeping on top of it will ensure your French Bulldog’s face is in tip-top condition. If you notice a foul smell, you should give your French Bulldog a bath following our French Bulldog Owner Bathing Guide, and whilst doing that, thoroughly check your French Bulldog’s wrinkles for an infection.
With that, along with proper nutrition, tools, and mostly, the right level of commitment, you can help your French Bulldog avoid all kinds of wrinkle-related issues which could be detrimental to his quality of life. After all, surely you wouldn’t want a sore and smelly face?
So now you’ve learned all about your French Bulldog’s wrinkles, can you tell if your French Bulldog’s wrinkles need a clean?